Larsen Introduces Legislation to Boost Access to STEM Job Opportunities

February 14, 2019

Rep. Rick Larsen (WA-02) today introduced legislation to help high school students access in-demand jobs related to growing Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) industries by creating a pathway through community college and into an in-demand apprenticeship.

Raising an astronaut... or a scientist, or an inventor, or an engineer - STEM programs prep kids for the future

February 13, 2019

Not every child will be an astronaut, but all children have dreams that can benefit from hard work and parental support. Lamp says she tried to encourage her daughter to follow her passions and treat setbacks as opportunities for growth. Children should explore, she says, and take risks and try new things and fail and try again. "I don't like to see kids over-structured," she says. "They need to be creative."

Engineering Experiences with Informal STEM Education

February 13, 2019

For many of us, the time spent in school getting our formal education looms large—all those recess revelries, group projects, favorite teachers, and high-stakes tests. So it can be surprising to learn that children spend only 20% of their waking hours at school, and the average American spends only 5% of their lifetime in the classroom. This leaves a whopping 80-95% of our lives lived outside of school.

Study probes effect of virtual reality on learning

February 12, 2019

In a new study by Cornell University, scientists explored whether the compelling, immersive nature of virtual reality (VR) provides a better learning outcome than conventional hands-on activities. The study provides better intellect how the novelty of technology affects how people use it.

STEM Remains Strong Contender for DonorsChoose Dollars

February 11, 2019

STEM projects are continuing to make the top 10 as a category on teacher funding site DonorsChoose. According to the organization, over the past four years, computer science and coding projects grew two and a half times faster than other project types. DonorsChoose is a nonprofit that encourages teachers to post their classroom project funding needs on the site and solicit donations from the public. During the latest year, the site has raised $87 million for a total funding of 163,323 projects.

We Have A Long Way To Go Before Women Are Equally Represented In The Sciences

February 11, 2019

Today, February 11th, is International Women and Girls in Science Day. Despite the best efforts of many parents, teachers, and policymakers over the last two decades, we have yet to see the number of girls studying science and women entering scientific fields achieve parity. By most accounts, the numbers are still dismal.

STEM Toys - Worldwide Market Analysis & Forecast 2019-2023

February 11, 2019

The STEM toys market will register a CAGR of nearly 5% by 2023. The application of artificial intelligence (Al) in STEM toys has grown over the last few years. AI-powered STEM toys are becoming popular, especially among working parents

Will An All-Girls School Help Your Daughter Do Better In Math?

February 11, 2019

Single-sex schools are growing in popularity. Many of them bring a focus on STEM topics, an appealing perk for parents who want their daughters to get a leg up in those fast-growing fields or who see these programs as a way to ensure that their daughters are honing the critical thinking and foundational life skills (like grit, curiosity, and perseverance) that will set them up for lifelong success, regardless of the career they choose.

8 Ways Experts Are Reimagining Graduate STEM Education

February 10, 2019

The best and brightest from the United States and around the world routinely study in U.S. universities to gain a wide range of skills and pursue diverse interests. But as the authors write, faculties tend to focus on one goal: furthering academic research. For many students, that is not their primary interest.

The International Space Station as a Teaching Tool

February 10, 2019

Over the course of four years, we have built a consortium of over 40 educational partners, offering a wide range of ISS-based education programs and services. Titled Space Station Explorers, this program now reaches over 2 million students of all ages, girls and boys, from K–12 through college and beyond, in venues from formal schools to museums, after-school programs and the web.


Subscribe to Education